The Boys & Girls Clubs of America is a national nonprofit that provides youth development programs, outside of school hours, for at-risk youth. For more than 100 years, Boys & Girls Clubs have been an invaluable resource to the youth of our country, serving nearly 4 million young people annually at more than 4,100 Clubs.
Lowe’s has partnered with Boys & Girls Clubs of America since 2009. Over this time, we’ve provided more than $5 million in charitable grants and our employees have volunteered thousands of hours of their time to upgrade Club facilities. In 2014, Lowe’s donated $1 million for upgrades in 20 Clubs across the country.
“Lowe’s $1 million investment helps Clubs to continue to provide safe and engaging places where our members can grow and develop the necessary skills needed to achieve great futures.” – Jim Clark, president and CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of America
In 2014, our grants helped deliver much-needed upgrades to Boys & Girls Clubs around the country. Some highlights include:
- Long Beach, California: Received $35,000 to improve its energy efficiency, paint walls and refurbish restrooms and floors
- Lawrence County, Indiana: Received a $50,000 grant to establish a center dedicated to teens
- Springfield, Massachusetts: Received $50,000 for an athletic space and two gymnasium renovations
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Received $50,000 to refurbish a kitchen to be used for healthy cooking programs
In addition to our financial contribution, Lowe’s Heroes contributed to efforts at several Boys & Girls Clubs across the country. Highlights include:
- Lowe’s Heroes and Team Lowe’s Racing: During the NASCAR season, Lowe’s Heroes partnered with Team Lowe’s Racing – the team led by six-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson – to help upgrade three local Boys & Girls Clubs across the country. In Concord, North Carolina, we revamped a game room at the local Club with fresh paint and Team 48 decals. In Adrian, Michigan, store employees and pit crew members updated landscaping outside the Club. In Concord, New Hampshire, we assisted with several upgrades at the local Club, including fixing a drainage issue on the roof and installing an edge barrier to enclose the playground and make it safer for the children.
- Pumpkins for a Purpose: During the fall, Lowe’s teamed up with Frey Farms, one of our national pumpkin suppliers, to donate more than 6,500 pumpkins to nearly 70 Boys & Girls Clubs in select states across the country. In Tupelo, Mississippi, Lowe’s employees stayed around after the delivery to help the kids paint and decorate the pumpkins.
“At the end of the day, it was easy to see the positive impact that was made to the Club. Not only did the kids and staff walk away with the pride in a job well done, but so did the entire Lowe’s team. I was also a member of the Boys & Girls Club as a kid, and it meant a lot to me to be able to give back!” – Chris Parry, assistant store manager, Store 2617 in Concord, New Hampshire, after a rewarding day of work with Team Lowe’s Racing.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America